7 WAYS TO … KILL YOUR EXCUSES
December 9, 2009 by The Dove
We all make excuses. But the successful ones are those who can kill them and move on toward their goals.
“Im too tired. I dont have the time. I dont feel motivated. Id rather do nothing. I dont have the money, equipment, space. I cant because” …
Weve all made the excuses. Heres how to kill them…
- See the positive. Excuses are usually made because we dont feel like doing something – were accentuating the negative. Instead, see the fun in something, the joy in it. And maintain a positive attitude, or youll never beat the excuses.
- Take responsibility. Excuses are ways to get out of owning up to something. If we dont have the time, money, equipment, etc., then its not our fault, right? Wrong. Take responsibility, and own the solution.
- Find a solution. Just about every problem has a solution. Dont have time? Start with just 5-10 minutes. Make the time. Wake earlier. Do it during lunch. Dont have a gym membership? Workout at home or in the office. Dont have the energy? Do it when you have higher levels of energy. Youre smart. Figure out the solution.
- See your goal. This is your motivation – your reason for doing it. Sure, you could just lay on the couch, but if you think about why you really want to pursue a goal, youll be motivated. Visualize that goal and just get started.
- Be accountable. Have a workout partner, a project partner, a team, someone to report to. If you have to meet a coach or partner, youre more likely to do something.
- Go ahead and make your excuses. Then do it anyway.
- Watch this. Then go an do it.
Photo: Focus on the enjoyable and the positive
7 Ways to Kill Your Excuses by Leo Babauta of Zen Habits. Follow him on Twitter.